Saturday, May 31, 2008

WHAT THEY SAID ABOUT RELIGION

Religion is all bunk. --Thomas Edison

I don’t believe in God, because I don’t believe in Mother
Goose. -- Clarence Darrow

It is best to read the weather forecast before praying for rain. – Mark Twain

The Bible and the Church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of women’s emancipation. --
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Question with boldness even the existence of God; because if there be one, He must approve the homage of Reason rather than that of blindfolded Fear. – Thomas Jefferson

Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and tortuous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness with which more than half the bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we call it the word of a demon than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize humankind. – Thomas Paine

I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of humankind has preserved the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced. – John Adams

Finding that no religion is based on facts and therefore cannot be true, I began to reflect what must be the condition of mankind trained from infancy to believe in error. – Robert Owen

It’s an incredible con job when you think of it, to believe something now in exchange for life after death. Even corporations with all their reward systems don’t try to make it posthumous. – Gloria Steinem

Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system. – Thomas Paine

I believe that when I die I shall rot, and nothing of my ego will survive. I am not young, and I love life. But I should scorn to shiver with terror at the thought of annihilation. Happiness is none the less true happiness because it must come to an end, nor do thought and love lose their value because they are not everlasting. – Bertrand Russell

It is interesting to speculate how it developed that in two of the most anti-feminist institutions, the church and the law court, the men are wearing dresses. – Flo Kennedy

I do not believe in the immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it. – Albert Einstein

One of my most favorite fantasies is that next Sunday not one single woman, in any country of the world, will go to church. If women simply stop giving our time and energy to the institutions that oppress, they could cease to be.
Sonia Johnson

Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. – Ulysses S. Grant

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are no gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. – Tomas Jefferson

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own – a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear of ridiculous egotism. – Albert Einstein

The time appears to me to have come when it is the duty of all to make their dissent from religion known. – John Stuart Mill

It is a farce to call any being virtuous whose virtues do not result from the exercise of its own reason. – Mary Wollstonecraft

The Christian religion has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world. – Bertrand Russell

The bible teaches that woman brought sin and death into the world, that she precipitated the fall of the race, that she was arraigned before the judgement seat of Heaven, tried, condemned and sentenced. Marriage for her was to be a condition of bondage, maternity a period of suffering and anguish, and in silence and subjection, she was to play the role of a dependent on man’s bounty for all her material wants, and for all the information she might desire. Here is the Bible position of woman briefly summed up.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

If the bible had said that Jonah swallowed the whale, I would believe it. – William Jennings Bryan.

Think not that I come to send peace on earth; I came not to send peace, but a sword. – Jesus, Matthew 10:34

I cannot believe in a god who wants to be praised all the time. – Friedrich Rich Nietzshe

Religion is a human fabrication. – Christopher Hitchens

WHAT OTHERS SAID ABOUT RELIGION

I Believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the wish of the Almighty Creator. – Adolph Hitler in Mein Kampt – Vol 1 Chapter 2

The sermons by Rev. Jeremia Wright charge that the US government gave African Americans drugs, created Aids and inflicted blacks with that disease. He further said that 9/11 and the death of 3000 Americans were created by US policy.

Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you. He knows what we are going through when we grieve, and wants to assure us of his love and concern. I don’t know what I will see see when I enter Heaven, because it is far more glorious than anything we can imagine. I know this: Heaven is the dwelling place of God, and someday I will see him face to face. – Billy Graham

I know that this is painful for the ladies to hear but if you get married, you have accepted the headship of a man, your husband. Christ is the head of the household and the husband is the head of the wife. –Reverend Pat Robertson

Reverend Jerry Falwell blamed civil libertarians , homosexuals and abortion rights supporters for the terrorist attacks of Tuesday, September 11 (9/11) 2001.
“God gave us what we deserved”.
Reverend Pat Robertson agreed.

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own hearts is our temple; the simple philosophy is kindness.
The Dalai Lama

Our Heavenly Father knew and loved each one of us.
Mother Theresa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for those wise quotes.