Friday, November 5, 2010

BRAHMS 4TH

I was wounded during world war two. Patched up, I was ready to go back to the front. Somehow I was sidetracked and landed up at the home of a wonderful Belgian family and  Brahms 4th. was played.  I listened, transformed, uplifted, warmed, temporarily at peace. I play this piece often. I am 87 years old and plan to hear more Brahms before I die.

I must add a comment written by a "NEPHETULA" regarding Brahms 4th. I was blown over by this person's prose and excitement. Listen in:

This is my favorite piece of classical music! It flows - seamlessly - from one mood and image to another; it breathes, it almost sighs. It queries, it protests, it explains, and it laughs, all the while lilting up and down in a graceful but simple call-and-answer melody with wonderful dynamics. In the exposition, i can almost visualize some unknown hero or heroine's chest heaving while chasing (or being chased) and glancing furtively this way and that, while asking "Which way shall I go?"
I think "Nephetula" (whoever he or she is) and Brahms are going steady.

My extra favorite composers all start with the letter B. I list them in order of my favorites.
Brahms, Beethoven, Bach, Bartok and Berlioz. The B's have it but of course I have other favorites. Stop everything and go to Youtube and start listening.

No comments: