Saturday, May 19, 2007

OH THE COUNTRY

I am in the country, the real country, housing all manner of farm animals and every flying insect known to man.

In my mind’s eye I can see the grass growing, the breezes blowing, the trees stretching their limbs. I look up and see clouds spreading lazily among blue skies. I yawn contentedly. It is 6 a.m .

The birds have been singing for some time and the roosters have stopped crowing. I breathe deeply and stretch.

In a large evening enclosure, Satire and son Freedom have spotted me and their tales are moving fast enough to generate electricity. These giant canines of unknown origin, are now standing on their massive hind legs with forepaws resting impatiently against the upper portions of the wire fence. They are sending urgent messages that say, feed me, stroke me, walk and gallop with me.

Who can resist these gentle mammoths? I follow each command to the letter.

The air is fresh and redolent with mixtures of grass, trees, plants, sun, flowers and dog odors. I fill my lungs greedily.
And yes there is also a hint of manure and hay and a mixture of good old country smells. I savor all, saving it, treasuring it, my lay away plan.

It is time for a country road walk. I am joined by my friends, Satire and Freedom, both find various areas that need exploring. They ignore barking dogs, stop to gaze at sheep and roosters, while I concentrate on horses and cows. I know there are some porkers around but no oinking is heard. Too busy swilling and swallowing?

A stillness settles down, one can almost hear the quiet.
At this moment all is right with the world. It is time for breakfast.

No comments: